User Name
Password

Old 2005-07-04, 07:34   #1
ace firefist
Also known as baki

ace firefist is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ace firefist
Lightbulb One Piece MMORPG

Ok...That got you guy’s attention. Sorry for misleading you though.
However it is not a total lie, its a half truth you could say. Well it’s inspired by One Piece anime/manga created by Eichiro Oda. I guess I've got some explaining to do as well.
I currently have no Team members and do not plan on recruiting right now because
• I have no programming skills, however I started learning.
• I am too busy right now learning.
• I have entry level HTML knowledge only.
• I know no-one will follow a unqualified leader.
• I am no good at modeling or using 3dsMax or Solidworks.
I'm guessing you guys are wondering why I posted this thread, if I'm not going to recruit. So I think its best I'll explain that now. The aim of this thread is to discuss the feasibility of my idea and to see any potential recruits and to see if anyone could give me pointers and maybe...hmmmm...aid my learning? I probably start recruiting in a couple of months after I get a good understanding of how MMO's work and have made a few mini-games.
This is what I will provide:
1. A server for the MMORPG to run on. The specs will be as follows:

EDIT: Actually it looks like I can't get a server.
Circumstances have changed it seems, unless theirs someone willing to provide a server of decent specs. It doesn't have to be dedicated and my stay there will only be temporary until I sort things out. If anyone can please e-mail me at: flare123@gmail.com or post here. You can also hook up with me on MSN at: flare_123@@hotmail.com

1. I will supply a website and a forum
2. I will do the design for the website or get my friend to do it.
3. I will get affiliates from my friends at Nexgear and Null.
4. I have experience with leading and co-ordinating a group of people from all around the world through the internet. I have led two Fansub groups the first one of which I have founded.
With my first fansub group the one which I founded, I had no experience in fansubbing. Also I did not have a stronghold over my team-mates and there were only a few loyal and informed people. The rest were miss - informed due to my deputy head who was an experienced fansubber. The person who was below me I trusted him because of his experience and listen to his advice. However he did not respect me because I was unqualified, and because of that he secretly behind the scenes slowly took control while the group was in its infancy. I did suspect things long before they happened however I was too late in my actions and the group was snatched from me. This shattered me, and I really didn't want to pick up fansubbing after this. However I believe that was a valuable experience and I have learned alot from it. After that a person I knew came to me a month later requesting that I led his group. We released a couple of episodes, however a couple of months later it became in-active because team-members left due to the fact that they were so busy with college and university starting up again and what made it worse was that it was a small group about 12 people. I was reluctant to lead that group, however after its dispersion I left they way it was and the only reason why I led the group was because of a friends request. Then another friend came to me talking about how he left his old group and now he had started up his own group and they were going to do One Piece. They needed a well versed editor who had knowledge of the manga and anime and that strangely matched my description, but I was not enthusiastic at all for this position and until he convinced me to do it. I thought it might be interesting just having to do my job and not having to stress myself over other affairs. I'm still part of the group, head over to their website at: http://www.revquest-fansubs.com and my nick there is Flare. However their rival group Kaizoku-Fansubs who started way before them were progressing faster than they expected so they decided to put One Piece on a stand still.
I guess I've rambled on enough about my past experiences...sorry you had to endure it.-_-ll back on topic. What I want to create is an MMORPG which is 3D (I know what you're going to say, however I won't be the only working on the engine etc.... Also I'm not doing it now; I'm going to get some programming experience first.)It will be based around Pirates. There'll be different kinds of pirates and the technology will be similar to ours in terms of weapons. However their other technology will be weird just like One Piece. The combat system will be similar to a beat-em up but with slight differences. They'll be different types of Pirates.
• The Sea Hunters.(Good pirates exploring the ocean and searching for treasure.)
• Sea Bandit. (Steal stuff etc...)
• Commanders of the Ocean.(Powerful pirates seeking power)
• Government Pirates. (Pirates who work or corporate with the government and do not have bounties)
• Guardians. (Pirates who protect places and defend people at sea.)
Other classes:
• Bandits. (Steal, kill and rob on land.)
• Village/Town leaders.
• Sea Guard (Sea Police/military).
• Secret service.
• Bounty Hunters.
• Free lancers
• Assassins
• Thieves
• Martial art teacher.
• Trader
• Assassin.
• Smith.
• Cook

Marine Types
• Political. (deals with politics and hands out bounties)
• Government dog. (Obeys the government obediently)
• Teacher. (Teach younger pirates and conduct exams)
• Renegade. (Will not go up the ranks as fast or as high as an government dog, however has a clear vision of justice.)

Battle Types
• Sharp shooter.
• Gunslinger.
• Swordsman.
• Martial Artist.
• Brawler.
• Demolition Man.
• Ninja.
• Battle Cook. (Versatile fighter.)
Basic Crew Structure

There's more to come, its still in development. The storyline will be souly mine and this MMORPG will make a difference. I'm an avid player and anime watcher if any wants to know. Also I'm too tired too type anymore details so if anyone wants more info please contact me on: flare123@gmail.com and I'll edit this post later.
PS: I want the graphics to be similar to Rubies of Eventide. (http://www.cyberwar.com) or Ragnarok, so how many people will I need?
PS:Please Post any suggestions and ideas.
Go here for Updates and if you want to help out:http://www.ino-uk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120

Last edited by ace firefist : 2005-07-04 at 10:04.
ace firefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-05, 03:40   #2
afkb

afkb is on a distinguished road
the only chance for that to happen is to find a company who is intersrested in your ideas.
mmorp is not just about makein the game but also maintain, generateing new event and many many other that people like us dunno.
even if u matser progamming very well u alone cant hav the time and money to do it
and i dunno think u can find any help form people who cant even see their face,people here only noe how to watch anime........
afkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-07, 17:43   #3
rixot

rixot has disabled reputation
For a project of this scale, you will need at least one qualified senior engineer, and the time of said person is simply too valuable to do anything for free; senior game engineers are in extremely high demand. Without a sr. engineer, you will probably find yourself hitting many stumbling blocks along the way. A solid architecture is manditory; a group of amateurs will have a difficult time accomplishing your goals. If you can afford their time or miraculously find one that will work for free, then good for you.

To be realistic, having no programming experience yourself spells the doom of this project right from the get go. What programming language(s) will you use? What OS will this be on? What environment/compiler? You know using Visual Studio is NOT free. How will you structure interoperability? How will you represent graphics? Build your own engine? Use an existing one? How complex will your physics be? How will you schedule events? The questions go on and on.

You need a skilled engineer with a vested interest in the product so production won't hit a stand still. Finding an engineer that feels as strongly as you do about this project should be your first priority, although becoming proficient in game programming yourself would be ideal. This is your brainchild, you need to be the driving force behind it and that requires knowledge.

Not to mention any possible licensing problems you can face by using the One Piece property. Even if you don't plan on making any profit off this, if this project of this scale nears completion there's no doubt you'll have lawyers up your ass as it would be a threat to any legit One Piece video game (see: Marvel).

Personally, I think your goal is unrealistic. I would only undertake a project of this sort if you personally wanted to expand your knowledge of programming, and even then I would make the scope of the product much much smaller. Instead of thinking so grand right from the start, you should think about taking baby steps. Like start off making a simple game engine (that in itself is hard enough). If you are truly dedicated to completing this, eventually you will make it.
Old 2005-07-08, 05:17   #4
ace firefist
Also known as baki

Quote:
Ok...That got you guy’s attention. Sorry for misleading you though.
However it is not a total lie, its a half truth you could say. Well it’s inspired by One Piece anime/manga created by Eichiro Oda. I guess I've got some explaining to do as well

Its not a One Piece MMorpg, but an MMORPG inspired by it.

Quote:
The storyline will be souly mine.
I will make the storyline and the world will be slightly different. It won't be called One Piece.

I understand what your saying and I myslef have realised the scale of the project. By senior Engineer do you mean a project manager, I know someone who has completed a degree in computer Science, he is proficient in C/C++ and Java and a few other languages.
I wish to make the MMORPG using C++ or C#, I know Visual C++ ain't free.

Quote:
A solid architecture is manditory; a group of amateurs will have a difficult time accomplishing your goals.
Please check out this website:http://www.planeshift.it
You have a point I will admit that, and have accepted that fact.
Also I think you do not clearly see my position in all this. I will be the Owner/Financial Backer/PR/Idea's guy and thats it, I may help with the spriting. I am right now help making a MMORPG called ParvusMon, to gain experience.

Quote:
you should think about taking baby steps
I am going to take baby steps and have decided to no longer make it 3d and make use of sprites for the first one. Also I know where I can get programmers (have to pay tho)and I know a few a spritists. I think a ragnarok or fully 2D would be best to start off with.
Old 2005-07-08, 15:35   #5
rixot

rixot has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace firefist
Its not a One Piece MMorpg, but an MMORPG inspired by it.

I will make the storyline and the world will be slightly different. It won't be called One Piece.
I realize that. What I'm talking about is the Marvel case involving City of Heroes. Just using likenesses of the world or character types can be a cause for alarm since it's a threat to the One Piece intellectual property. Indeed, if you change things sufficiently, there's probably nothing to worry about. I just wanted to shead some light on this possibility.

Quote:
I understand what your saying and I myslef have realised the scale of the project. By senior Engineer do you mean a project manager, I know someone who has completed a degree in computer Science, he is proficient in C/C++ and Java and a few other languages.
I wish to make the MMORPG using C++ or C#, I know Visual C++ ain't free.
I have a B.S. in computer science and have been developing software for almost 2 years now. That isn't enough proficiency. And I don't mean a project manager (because, I'm assuming, that is the position you will be filling). A senior engineer lays the architecture for the program and knows all facets of it, leading the lesser engineers' work on specialized components/libraries and making everything fit. This would require 5+ years of experience at least or a genius; college doesn't teach you such high level programming unless you specialized in software/game engineering. If your friend has the skills, then your project is going in the right direction.

Quote:
Please check out this website:http://www.planeshift.it
You have a point I will admit that, and have accepted that fact.
Also I think you do not clearly see my position in all this. I will be the Owner/Financial Backer/PR/Idea's guy and thats it, I may help with the spriting. I am right now help making a MMORPG called ParvusMon, to gain experience.
I see your position just fine. If you can provide the financial backing, then you don't really have any problems at all. But then again, if you had the financial backing I don't really see the point in asking for suggestions because between money, your engineer friend and Google, those will basically solve all your problems. What I assumed was that you had little or limited funding and I just gave my $0.02 with that in mind.

When you say you are the owner, it lead me to believe that you are considering eventually going commercial. If your plan is to go commercial, you will most definitely have to pay your staff, they won't work for you otherwise. Going commercial also means you have to be legit from the start. This means buying legit licenses to any development software you plan to use. Otherwise, I would head towards an open source path. Under certain license agreements, like GPL for instance, you can expect some returns, whether it is code, donations, etc. Going Linux might be a good first step, since most development tools are free, including the OS itself.

Quote:
I am going to take baby steps and have decided to no longer make it 3d and make use of sprites for the first one. Also I know where I can get programmers (have to pay tho)and I know a few a spritists. I think a ragnarok or fully 2D would be best to start off with.
To cut it down even more, I would leave out online play. Networking makes things complex--I would make online connectivity the next step after establishing a solid single player engine.

I addition to the games you already mentioned, I would take a quick glance at the company WildTangent, especially their game Fate which has been received well for an online distribution. They have a relatively small amount of developers, so they might be a good model when planning your game/company's stucture. Just a thought.

Anyways, I wish you luck in your endeavor.
Old 2005-07-08, 16:45   #6
BreakFight

BreakFight is on a distinguished road
=/

I'm really not sure what to say, but if you actually want to make a game that is worth playing, you are going to need tons of cash.

I'm meaning at least 5k here.

People aren't going to play games only for the content or storyline nowadays. It has to be entertaining and sleek. Sleek usually means $$$.

Well, best of luck.
BreakFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-08, 18:41   #7
MrMoron

MrMoron is on a distinguished road
MMO would certainly require tons of cash for servers, but a small scale single-player project shouldn't be very expensive me thinks. As long as you know how to use the internet for your benefit.

Well, me Im always glad to see new ambitious projects. Sadly, as you know, 90% of this sort of fan-projects often die a premature death. I've been in at least 4 projects, and none of them got even close to finish.

Anyway, I'd really like to see a One Piece -style RPG, and the engine being 2D would not hinder the game in my view. On an engine similiar to the SNES game Secret of Mana 2 (or Seiken Densetsu 3, I think [or the sequel Legend of Mana]), only with higher-res sprites , more animation frames and larger areas, that would be very impressive by itself. The battle-system was also cool, but could be improved upon.

Of course I'd like to help in anyway, even if it's only for the sake of this being One Piece related, I only have any experience in 3d model and texture creation though.
MrMoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-09, 15:08   #8
ace firefist
Also known as baki

Did you just say texture creation.....?? Your help would be gladly accepted.
Quote:
I realize that. What I'm talking about is the Marvel case involving City of Heroes. Just using likenesses of the world or character types can be a cause for alarm since it's a threat to the One Piece intellectual property. Indeed, if you change things sufficiently, there's probably nothing to worry about. I just wanted to shead some light on this possibility.
I guess I should rephrase what I said, there will be no similarities to One Piece except the that the game will be set at sea and pirates have a different image to conventional ones. Its more similar to HunterXHunter in some ways.
Quote:
When you say you are the owner, it lead me to believe that you are considering eventually going commercial. If your plan is to go commercial, you will most definitely have to pay your staff, they won't work for you otherwise. Going commercial also means you have to be legit from the start. This means buying legit licenses to any development software you plan to use. Otherwise, I would head towards an open source path. Under certain license agreements, like GPL for instance, you can expect some returns, whether it is code, donations, etc. Going Linux might be a good first step, since most development tools are free, including the OS itself.
Linux you say, I was just thinking about that.
Going commercial, I was planning going commercial with the second release.
And if any of you doubt my integrity at writing please read this.
O.R.B - Chapter One
Your only getting chapter one nothing more.